There are many reactions to the invasion of costumed candy-seekers. I remember one year when I opened my door to a teenage boy's loud ...
I jumped back, my heart racing. I didn't know whether to laugh or slug him! Talk about scared!
I've never been one for horror movies. I don't like things that "go bump in the night" or jump out at me with a bloodcurdling scream! It's enough to make me whimper like a baby.
But life is like that sometimes. And when life says "boo" we need to know how to respond.
I'm talking about dealing with fear. Fear that comes from tornadoes, earthquakes, hurricanes. Wars and rumors of war. A cancer diagnosis. A desperately-ill child. Unreasonable fears. Everyday fears.
There are many sources of fear. There are always trials and scary circumstances. But it can also come directly from our enemy, Satan, from interactions with others, and from our own sinful hearts.
The source of our fear isn't the biggest issue. Our source for dealing with fear is what's important.
Jesus often told his disciples not to fear; but instead to "take heart" (Matthew 14:27; 28:10; John 16:33); and throughout the Bible we find the Lord's remedy for fears. He tells us how to face every one with His strength and grace.
When God's Children experience fear, they can:
2. Embrace to God's encouraging presence. He will comfort in times of fear (Psalm 23:4).
3. Believe He will help. He will take us by the hand (Isaiah 41:13).
5. Stand firm and watch Him work. He is the Deliverer (Exodus 14:13a).
4. Practice courage. Whether you're a little scared or terrified, you can choose to be bold, knowing God goes with us into every circumstance (Deuteronomy 31:6).
6. Replace ungodly attitudes. God gives power, love, and a sound (disciplined) mind—not fear (2 Timothy 1:7) ... ask the Spirit of God to renew your mind (Romans 12:2).
You cannot imagine the power of God at work, even in scary circumstances. (Need a reminder? Read 2 Kings 6:15-17). I pray our eyes will open to the Lord's power for us.
What is saying "boo!" to you right now? Which of these six points might need some work in your life so you can overcome the fear/s in your life?
Dawn Wilson, founder and President of Heart Choices Ministries, is the creator of three blogs: Heart Choices Today, LOL with God (with Pam Farrel), and Upgrade with Dawn. She is the President of the San Diego chapter of Network of Evangelical Women in MInistry (NEWIM San Diego). Dawn is the co-author of LOL with God and contributed "The Blessing Basket" in It's a God Thing. She and her husband Bob have two grown, married sons, three granddaughters and a rascally maltipoo, Roscoe.